Friday, September 20, 2013

Helmet Dome, Cheeks, Back, Mandibles. And crappy gauntlets.

Alright, so here's what I've got on my helmet so far. I first cut out the visor with a dremel tool and the taped it off. The inside of my helmet already has a layer of black to keep it dark so people can't see your face as well, so I didn't really want to get paint on that. You can also see my chop shop spray booth. It's literally a bunch of cardboard in my garage.

For some reason, my garage is also infested with hornets so I don't actually go in there anymore at the moment....

I sprayed the whole helmet with primer, and then a layer of Rusto Aluminum. I decided to do the cheeks and dome first, so I taped everything else off with frog tape, and then applied my liquid mask to the parts I wanted to show through as the "metal". I used mustard. Yes, you read that right. A lot of people use Vaseline, toothpaste, mustard, or actual liquid mask. I use mustard because when it dries it flakes off when you scrape it, which is the effect I want. Liquid mask kind of shrinks up on appliance because of the type of surface it's getting put on. I sprayed a grey colour over that, and here it is with the mask wiped off. I didn't like the grey I put on it, so I ended up spraying it with primer later on. I like the grey the primer comes as.


 After that, I put another mustard layer down, and then sprayed a base of Rusto Camouflage Army Green, and then misted heavily with Rusto Spruce Green and Flat Black. Then scraped off the mustard, and ta da!

I also got my 4x20 scope in, you can see that in progress down next to the helmet. It's not a genuine ASI, but it's pretty close. Still functional, I'm weathering it to match the gun. I'm still debating on buying an actual replica kit though. Just so pricey.

Next are the mandibles and the back. Once again, taped off, mustard mask. Sprayed grey, scraped. Mustard mask. On this one, I used Rusto Hunter Green, with some Spruce and Flat Black misting. I'm really happy with how this layer turned out. Here's the mustard if you still don't believe me.

  There's going to have to be some touch ups, I will do all of those after I finish spraying down all the layers. I will also have to go back and add some more weathering so make the helmet look more beat up. But it's coming along well. Only about 4 or 5 more layers of paint on this boy and it's soon finished!

On to the crappy gauntlets. I ordered some gauntlets from a guy whom I was told makes reputable props. And then I got THIS in the mail.

Obviously, I was not happy with the quality of what I got. The gauntlet halves (not pictured) are all vacuum formed plastic, which were VERY different sizes. One gauntlet is about 4 times bigger than my arm, where as the other is only twice as big. I can't do much about it, I already decided I'm getting another pair, and have already contacted Christian from Man of War about one of his sets. I'm already impressed with his work I've got, so I'm going to be surprised if it's not high quality.

I'll still probably paint these gauntlets up as best as I can and sell them for a super reduced price on eBay. I just can't bear to look at them, they must go.


No comments:

Post a Comment