Sunday, September 29, 2013

Bucket Visor, Ears, and Weathering

So since the last post, I've painted on the visor, ears, and kill stripes, as well as does some general weathering and micro damage. I feel like Boba gets into a lot of scraps grabbing bounties all the time, so his helmet needs to be pretty beat up. I think I may have put more damage on there than any other bucket I've seen, but I like what I did with it.

For the visor, first applied mustard over silver (per usual) sprayed with grey. Scratched that off and applied mustard again. The red I used Rusto Cabernet, misted with flat black.

The ears are the first layer of Rusto Aluminum I laid down, taped off, and then misted with flat black. After, I attacked it with 80 grit sandpaper. Those will need some silver touch ups.

After all that painting, I started on the weathering. You can see what I mean about the intense scratches, I hit this dome with sandpaper everywhere, x-acto blade, I haven't done the gravel yet. I also used white and black acrylic paints and a paper towel, to get the darker and lighter areas. You can see that the most on the cheeks. I used pure white, and I should have mixed it darker before I put it on, but the black turned out nice. "Scorch marks"

My dad suggested putting a blowtorch to it, but I don't know how it would react with the paint. The helmet would be okay to a certain degree. Aluminum has a low melting point though. So I opted out of that, maybe I'll try it some day.






Here's my method for the kill stripes. The paint reacted bad, so I'm going to have to find a way to touch that up. My stripes are .25x1 inch each, and ROTJ he has 18 of them on his helmet.

This is frog tape layered on wax paper. Drew the stencil on, cut out the black areas that I wanted to paint, and then peeled it off and (painstakingly) put it on the helmet.





My Man of War jetpack is in the mail, so I will finally be getting that Monday. I'm pretty excited, to say the least. That is going to be the most daunting part of this entire build.

-Berry








No comments:

Post a Comment